I've never been to Australia, but I know a lot about it. I had the great opportunity to spend half a semester researching the country/continent when I was in high school, and all that knowledge stuck with me. So, yesterday, when I saw the "Australian Bakery Cafe" I had to go in.

Having already eaten lunch, I went in with hopes of finding one of the best desserts I've had in years, the Australian national dessert, "Pavlova." It's a meringue bowl, crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside and filled with fresh fruit and sauce. I had it at a restaurant in Vidalia last year. It was simple, but far from what we expect to see on a dessert menu. It's lighter and less decadent. It's a dessert that makes you feel refreshed and not weighed down.

To my disappointment, they were already sold out by the time I got there, but he promised they would have it today. Instead, Regina and I shared a "Matchstick." A dessert with crispy and flaky layer on top and bottom, and in between, a fresh whipped cream and a raspberry preserve. It wasn't a Pavlova, but it was good. For anyone in the EAV or Marietta Square, make a stop by the bakery and try the Pavlova. You won't be disappointed, and if you have any questions about Australia, the manager will be glad to answer them. We learned a lot in the few minutes we were there.

An insider tip: If you order lunch in the EAV location and you make good conversation, the manager, Dave, might be inclined to throw in dessert, for free!