Now that I'm a graduate from the great Georgia State University I am forced to start to make a name for myself in the world. With a combination of economic peril and high unemployment rates, it seems as if my task is more daunting than those before me. Is this mountain getting taller as the decades go by? Was it easier for the Roosevelts to make money because expectations were lower?
Whatever the reason I have found myself working for free. Don't get me wrong, it's better than paying to work, which is what we all did in college. However, it's not as satisfying a bringing home a check for you work. It's definitely the in-between stage in our lives where we find ourselves offering our services to prove that we are worth an investment.
Okay, I sound a little dissatisfied, and I am, but I'm learning something here. Something that I haven't yet learned and never thought I'd need...Humility.
So, keep and eye out for me and my humility as we work for free writing Examiner food blogs and political insight columns for Sunday Paper, an Atlanta weekly. I guess it's important to remember that even the best of us have to prove ourselves now and then. Maybe it's okay to work for free once in a while, just don't make a habit of it.